"Exit Saigon, Enter Little Saigon" - Exhibition News
Read news from
- From California State University Fullerton
- From Orange County Register
- Celebrating Vietnamese American since 1975
- Smithsonian Exibition Press Release
- From VietNam.org
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 29, 2007
The following exhibitions are ready for general public viewing starting:
- Saturday, September 29 through December 2.
- Monday-Friday 10am-7pm/Saturday 10am-3pm/Closed Sunday
Co-sponsored and organized by the Smithsonian Institution, California State University - Fullerton (CSUF), Farmers Insurance Group, and Viet Art Center Foundation
SMITHSONIAN EXHIBIT - "EXIT SAIGON, ENTER LITTLE SAIGON"
"Divided into six sections showcasing challenges, contributions and change, the exhibit explores civic and political issues as well as the intergenerational tensions families experience as they negotiate new lives in a new country. In 90 panels of text and photographs, supplemented by accompanying videos, "Exit Saigon, Enter Little Saigon" documents both Vietnamese Americans'success in assimilating the American experience and the considerable lengths to which they have gone to maintain their linguistic, cultural and religious traditions." (Quote provided from CSUF)
CSUF EXHIBITION - "THE PEOPLE OF LITTLE SAIGON"
The people of Little Saigon figure prominently in a secondary exhibition of 40 photos about the lives and culture of Vietnamese living in Southern California . These images, gathered by communications professors Jeff Brody and David DeVries of CSUF, were chosen from 8000 images taken by students from CSUF, UCI, Rancho Santiago Community College , different high schools, members of the community.
VIET ART CENTER EXHIBITION - "NOSTAGIA"
This exhibition presents by Photographer Cung Duc Nguyen featuring 10 artistic photos of the olden memories from the homeland. Poetic writings for the photos present by Professor Quyen Di (Vietnamese) and translation by Que Nghi
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 9, 2007
- "EXIT SAIGON, ENTER LITTLE SAIGON" - SMITHSONIAN EXHIBITION
- GRAND OPENING RECEPTION
- GENERAL PUBLIC INVITATION - 8PM-9PM
Sponsored by California State Fullerton (CSUF) and Farmers Insurance Group
- Milton Gordon- President of California State Fullerton (CSUF)
- Franklin Odo- Director of Smithsonian Asia Pacific Program (Washington-DC)
- Anh Cao - 2005 Million Dollar Round Table (MDRT) of Farmers Insurance Group
- Kim Van and Hung Nguyen - Founders of Vietnam Vision
- and many other distinguished scholars and guests.