VIET ART CENTER
12965 Historic Main Street
Garden Grove, CA 92840
VIET ART WEEKLY â€“ ENEWS: 5/24-5/31
Thank you for your sponsorship of Viet Art Center & Nhom The Friends: Viet Weekly magazine, Viet Tide magazine, Radio VNCR, The Korea Times Los Angeles, Saigon TV, Little Saigon TV, VATV, Nguoi Viet â€“ 2 weekly, Nguoi Viet newspaper, Saigon Radio Hai Ngoai, SBTN (Saigon Broadcasting Television Network), VHN TV, Quincy Discount Printing, Bolsa Tickets, Coffee Factory, Uy Vu Entertainment, Perfume Company
Friday, May 25 - Monday, May 28
GARDEN GROVE STRAWBERRY FESTIVAL
The Strawberry Festival over the years has evolved into a variety of Commercial booths, Arts and Crafts, Game Booths, Food Booths and major Carnival Rides which dot the landscape of the Village Green, located between Euclid Avenue and Main Street , two blocks north of Garden Grove Boulevard . The Strawberry Festival Amphitheater, located at the South End of the Village Green, which was built for the city by funds raised by the Association, provides a charming venue for the many stage shows featuring celebrity and local performers. The largest Strawberry Shortcake is devoured by hungry fairgoers on opening night. The Festival is expecting 250,000 fairgoers to visit Historic Main Street this coming Memorial Day Weekend. Hours: Friday (1 p.m. to 10 p.m.) â€¨Saturday and Sunday (10 a.m. to 10 p.m.) â€¨Monday (10 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.) For information and schedule, call 714-638-0981 or visit www.strawberryfestival.org
Sunday, May 27, 2007 10AM-1PM
Â· ARTISTS @ WORK (INSIDE VIET ART) â€“ figure drawing with Folk Singer Phuong Mai in Ho Quang costume - co-sponsored and organized by Viet Artists Club, Viet Weekly, Garden Grove Farmers Market, & Viet Art Center
Sunday, May 27, 2007 â€“ 2:00PM-5:00PM
Â· VIET ART CULTURAL NIGHT â€“ MOTHERâ€™S HEART
A Scent of Literature - Mother in Poetry (Me Trong Thi Ca)
- Professor/Writer Quyen Di
- Translation: Que Nghi â€“ Painting Illustration: Nguyen Thi Hop
- Viet Art Performance Group: Phuong Lan (Piano), Thuc Nghi (Flute), Le Hong Quang (Vocal), Uy Vu (Vocal), Thu Thuy (Piano), Dan Vy, Nha Vy, Ha Nhi (Vocal), Lanette (Dance), & Michelle Phuong Thao (MC)
- Tickets: Non-member $25/Member $20
Saturday, June 9, 2007 â€“ 1:00PM-4:00PM
Â· MUSICAL RECITAL â€“ LHQ Studio - Private Event
Saturday, June 23, 2007 â€“ 6:00PM-10:00PM
- LA VIE EN ROSE â€“ NHOM THE FRIENDS
Nhom The Friends would like to introduce a musical evening â€“ Theme: La Vie En Rose. The program includes romantic masterpieces of France , Italy , England , etc. from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, ... All these songs were once loved and still love by millions of Vietnamese fans.
With special appearance of singer Linh Thao from Montreal, Canada, together with members of Nhom The Friends: Pham Ha, Bich Van, Tran Anh Bao, Bao Chau, Luu Minh Thang, Duy Ai, Uy Vu â€“ Vocal; Vuong Huong & Danniel Vu â€“ Piano; Luan Vu â€“ Violin; Nguyen Thi Hau â€“ Cello; Truong Dang Khoa â€“ Guitar; Nguyen Khoa Cat â€“ M.C.; and Michelle Phuong Thao â€“ Stage Art featuring the romantic paintings of Suzie Vuong, Phi Loc, Huy Dung.
Nhom The Friends selected Viet Art Center for this theme concert since Viet Art Center has a warm and cozy atmosphere. The guests should come a bit early to take a walk on the paved Historic Main Street , which was praised as the â€œmost romantic street in Orange County â€ by many Vietnamese artists. The street is designed with an ancient European style with large parking lot (in the back). Before the program, guests will also enjoy the beautiful painting selections featuring some contemporary artists. The warm and cozy atmosphere will further enhance with the aromatic scents of coffee and best of all, the elegant sound of classical music. We hope to see you at this meaningful and enchanting night.
Special Promotion: - Register your children to Viet Art Center Summer Program and receive complimentary ticket to La Vie En Rose concert & receive 10-minute phone card to VietNam .
Contact Information: Luan Vu â€“ 714-467-5840 Viet Art Center : 714-534-0398
Tickets available @ Bolsatickets.net, Bolsa Ticket â€“ 714-418-0499 & Viet Art Center
Sunday, June 24, 2007 â€“ 3:30PM-5:30PM
Â· A SCENT OF LITERATURE â€“ HUONG VAN
- Vietnamese Folk Humorous Story: Truyen Cuoi Dan Gian
- Professor Quyen Di
- English Translation: Michelle Phuong Thao
- Painting Illustration: Hoang Phuong Vy, Dao Vu, Tran Quang Minh, Thuc Quyen, Ly Thu Ha, Nguyen Thi Thoa
- Tickets: Non-member $8/Member $6
VIET ART SUMMER PROGRAM
Session I â€“ June 25 through July 27 (Closed July 4)
Session II â€“ July 30 through August 31
The Viet Art Summer Program runs Monday â€“ Friday from 8:00 a.m. â€“ 5:30 p.m.
Cost â€“ The cost of the summer program is non-member $150/week â€“ member: $125/week â€“ Drop in: $45 per day
- Special discount for low-income family and siblings
Field Trips â€“ Every Friday the children will go on field trips visiting parks, museums, galleries and artist studios.
Registration Fees â€“ A non-refundable deposit of one-week tuition is due when you register to guarantee a space. We accept checks and money orders (payable to Viet Art Center ). A charge of $10 will be made for checks returned for any reason.
Register before June 15 and receive:
1. A complimentary ticket to La Vie En Rose concert
2. A collection of 2006 Transvietimex Magazine (as supply available)
- All children will participate in Book Reading, Math Review, Drawing, Creative Writing, & Field Trip
- Each child will choose one additional activity: Vietnamese, Guitar, Calligraphy, Vocal.
- Free activity is with approval from the instructors - sample activities are computer, chess, reading, drawing, or...taking a nap...
- Materials for guitar, vocal, art & creativity lessons are purchased separately
- Young Stage Talent Show: Summer Art Children shows off their talents weekly on stage â€“ Prize available at each show â€“ and if we are really good, our talent show will be featuring on LittleSaigonTV.
- Young Pen column: Selected writings from summer camp children will be published in monthly Inside Viet Art newsletter in the Young Pen column.
INSTRUCTOR TEAM - IN THEIR OWN WORD
Advisory Director: Professor Quyen Di (UCLA/CSULB)
Program Director: Michelle Phuong Thao
We welcome you to Summer Time at Viet Art Center . A time of fairy tales, of bright sunshine, of magnificent rainbows, of cheerful laughter, of blossom fun, and of warm love. Years from now, as we will be together, this summer will be one of your â€œgood old summer timeâ€.
- Math: Don Nguyen (UCLA)
My name is Don Nguyen. I recently have graduated from UCLA as a Neuroscience major as I plan to go to Philadelphia for medical school in the fall. One thing that I have noticed is that math is something we can never escape from. Classes that I took in preparation for medical school such as physics and chemistry demand a strong grip and understanding of mathematics. The ability to work with numbers comes in handy in the classroom and most definitely outside the classroom as well. I have been tutoring students most of my college career and I am looking forward to teaching you this summer.
- Creative Writing: Monique Keleman (UCLA)
Creative writing is both an outlet for an individualâ€™s artistic energy and a journey inward to a greater understanding of a personâ€™s motivation and passion. I have recently graduated from UCLA with an English degree specializing in creative writing, and I have had amazing opportunities to work closely with some of the most respected and critically-acclaimed professors and fiction writers in the nation. I hope that I can share with you some of the experiences I have had. Creative writing is a form of art, and I will work with you to explore the different uses of words and thoughts to create your own individual masterpiece.
- Guitar: David Tran
I'll give you a small idea about myself. Upon receiving my BA in Music Education from SUNY Potsdam, I've had the opportunity to play in numerous bands ranging in styles from Rock, Funk, Blues, R&B, Folk, Jazz, and Vietnamese music. I've been teaching for ten years and hope to teach you.
- Drawing: Angelique Duyen
My name is Angelique, and I've been drawing and painting for more than ten years. To me, art is the mean of humanity. Art is to celebrate life and to employ a memory onto concrete creation. My works are centered on human, the human figures, and portraiture. But it is not limited to such, for life is also about nature and human's accomplishment. I use broad spectrum of mediums, from pencils, pastel, charcoal, to watercolor, acrylic, oil, collage, cutout. I also venture into abstract, cubism, impressionism, and other styles in my own works. For I believe in widening my own capacity and challenging new heights. My approach to art is practical, but never without emphasizing on the creativity aspect of making it. I believe in freedom of expression, that each expression is unique.
- Calligraphy: Chau Thuy
The Western calligraphy means â€œbeautiful writingâ€ and reflects an interest in ornamental words on the artwork. Viá»‡t Calligraphy, as well as the other Asian calligraphy, has been regarded as an elegant art form since the olden time. Viá»‡t Calligraphy, as a unique combination of East and West, is practiced today by many people around the world.
I hope that together with you, we will discover another form of expression that go beyond the mere ability of simple communication.
- Voice: Le Hong Quang (Vocal) & Thu Thuy (Piano)
Le Hong Quang graduated top of his class from the Saigon Conservatory in 1995. He graduated in 2003 from California State University , Fullerton . Today, he is the main tenor for the Ngan Khoi Chorus performs regularly at many chamber music programs. He established Le Hong Quang Studio to teach vocal lessons and have been participated by many students, youngsters and adults.
Hi, my name is Thu Thuy. I am 16. I started piano lessons at the age of 6 and was chosen to study in the National Conservatory of Hanoi, Vietnam. In January this year, I was accepted to come to US to study music. Currently, I am pianist at Saint Anselm Episcopal Parish in Garden Grove . I love classical and Vietnamese music. I hope to share with you my lifelong passion.
VIET ART CENTER EDUCATION PROGRAMS
BEGINNING VIETNAMESE FOR ADULTS (16 & ABOVE)
This class is for adults (American & second generation Vietnamese) who wish to learn conversational Vietnamese. Every Saturday starting June 2nd, 9:30am-11:00am â€“ contact Viet Art Center 858-414-5724 for class details
SPECIAL PROGRAM: BEHIND THE CAMERA
Want to be a TV cameraman? Learn filming, editing, and related topics about TV production. This class is taught by TV professionals from Little Saigon TV. Six Saturday sessions starting June 9th, 9:30am-12:30pm - Limited seats available - Contact Viet Art Center 858-414-5724 for class details.
The following art classes (private & group â€“ adult & children) and tutoring services are available at Viet Art Center throughout the week â€“ Guitar (David Tran), Creative Writing (Michelle Phuong Thao), Drawing (Angelique Duyen), Violin (Luan Vu from Nhom The Friends), Calligraphy (Chau Thuy)
101 VIET ARTISTS
- Viet Art Center welcome paintings of member artists from Viet Nam â€“ also member artists of Zen Gallery in Saigon - arriving this weekend
- Inside Viet Art â€“ May 2007 will feature Artist Nguyen Thi Kim Chi â€“ from Saigon , Vietnam
- Inside Viet Art â€“ Exhibition: Motherâ€™s Heart â€“ Artist Nguyen Thi Hop â€“ 5/12-5/30
- Inside Viet Art â€“ Exhibition: The Epical History of Vietnam â€“ Author: Professor Quyen Di, English Translator: Michelle Phuong Thao, Calligrapher Chu Thanh Thi, Artists: Nguyen Ri , Hoang Phuong Vy, Nguyen Tuan, Ho Nam , Huy Hoang, Ly Thu Ha, Thuc Quyen, Do Thi Thoa, & Trinh Tuan 5/12-5/30
VIET ART CENTER FOUNDATION
- A 501 (c) (3) non-profit foundation to support and to promote Viet Art & Culture â€“ are in process of filing for tax-exempt with state and federal government (should take about 6-8 weeks). Will update on status of this great non-profit organization.